Friday 17 December 2010

Day 1: 16th December - Novena of Christmas by Saint Alphonsus de Liguori

‘The Eternal Word is made Man’
Let us consider on this first day how the Eternal Word had no other end in becoming man than to inflame us with his divine love: “Losing man, I deem that I have nothing; I consider that I have lost all, since my delight was to be with him.” God, for the love he bears to men, seems beside himself. 
His justice says: “I perish if Adam die not.” His mercy on the other hand says: “I perish if he does not obtain forgiveness.” In this contest the Lord decides, that in order to deliver man, who was guilty of death, some innocent must die: “Let one die who is no debtor to death.”
The angels, the cherubim, the seraphim, all are silent, not one replies. One voice alone is heard, that of the Eternal Word, who says: “Lo, here am I; send Me.”







And thus behold Jesus in the womb of Mary; having now made his entry into the world in all humility and obedience.
In order to draw towards him the affections of men, he clothed himself completely after the human fashion, and appeared made man. The divine love for man was extreme, and so it had been from all eternity. But heretofore it had not appeared how great and inconceivable it was:
“Oh man! Behold, it is nothing but the love of thee that has brought me on earth to seek after thee. Wilt thou flee from me? Stay with me, love me; do not avoid me, for I greatly love thee.”
You have witnessed the love which God has borne for you; how long shall it be before God shall know by experience the love you bear him?
Whoever loves God has nothing to fear. Come, then, let us once for all make the resolution  to give the tribute of our love to a God who has so sincerely loved us. 
Let us  have recourse to the foremost of God’s lovers - Mary his Mother, who was so inflamed with his holy love that the devils had not the boldness even to tempt her. All who love and address themselves to her will be inflamed by her with the same love; she will make them resemble herself.


(Edited excerpts from St Alphonsus de Liguori, Novena for Christmas in: The Complete Works of St Alphonsus de Liguori. Rev. Eugene Grimm (Ed.)

No comments: