Friday 17 December 2010

Day 2: 17th December - Novena of Christmas by Saint Alphonsus de Liguori

‘The Eternal Word being Great becomes Little.’
David, contemplating the divine greatness, and seeing that he could not and never would be able to comprehend it, could only say, ‘O Lord, who is like to Thee?’
Behold, then, the Immensity become a little infant, whom the heavens cannot contain: see him imprisoned in poor rags, and laid in a narrow manger on a bundle of straw, which was at once his only bed and pillow. A God Almighty so tightly wrapped in swathing-bands that he cannot stir! A God who knows all things, made mute and speechless! A God who rules heaven and earth needing to be carried in the arms! A God who feeds all men and animals, himself having need of a little milk to support him! A God who consoles the afflicted, and is the joy of paradise, himself weeps and moans and has to be comforted by another!
Ah my Lord! Who was it that drew Thee from heaven to be born in a stable? Who snatched Thee from Thy throne above the stars, and put Thee to lie on a little straw? It was all the work of love. Thus would he be born who willed to be loved and not feared.
And how comes it, then, that we are so ungrateful towards God, the same God who has bestowed his whole self upon us, who has descended from heaven to earth to save us and to be loved by us? Come, then, let us love Jesus Christ, who has sought in the midst of such sufferings to attach our hearts to him.
And for love of Jesus Christ, we ought to love our neighbors, even those who have offended us: Love your enemies, do good to them that hate you... that you may be the children if your Father who is in heaven. (Matt 5:44). And of this he himself  set us the example on the cross, praying his Eternal Father to forgive those who were crucifying him.

And how can we, sinners as we are, despair of pardon, when we think of Jesus Christ? For this very object the Eternal Word humbled himself so far as to take human flesh, that we might procure our pardon from God: ‘I am come, not to call the just, but sinners.’ (Matt 9:13). 
Let not, then, the sinner be afraid, provided he will be no more a sinner, but will love Jesus Christ. Let him not be dismayed, but have full trust. If he abhor sin, and seek after God, let him not be sad, but full of joy: ‘Let the heart of them rejoice that seek the Lord.’ (Ezech 18:21).
A tear of repentance, one act of heart-felt contrition, is enough to appease the Infant Jesus. Approach, then, to Him while he is a little one. He has put off his divine majesty, and appears as a child to inspire us with more courage to approach his feet.
O my sweet, amiable and holy Child. In time past, it is true, I have not known Thee; heedless of Thy love, I have only sought my own gratifications, making no account whatever of Thee and of Thy friendship. But now I am conscious of the wrong I have done; I am sorry for it with my whole heart. Forgive me for the sake of Thy infancy. I promise never to leave Thee. O Mary! O great Mother of the Incarnate Word! Thou art the mother of perseverance. Help me, then, and help me always; with thy aid, O my hope! I trust to be faithful to my God till death.


(Edited excerpts from St Alphonsus de Liguori, Novena for Christmas in: The Complete Works of St Alphonsus de Liguori. Rev. Eugene Grimm (Ed.)

No comments: