Tuesday 21 December 2010

Day 6: 21st December - Novena of Christmas by Saint Alphonsus de Liguori

Day 6 Morning Prayer: ‘The Eternal Word from being His Own has made Himself Ours.’
The greatest privilege of God, the whole of God, is to be his own, that is, to exist of himself, and to depend on no one. All creatures, however, have everything  they have from God, who has created them and preserves them. And this in such a manner that if God were for a single moment to cease preserving them, they would instantly lose their being and return to nothing. God, on the contrary, because he exists of himself, cannot fail. Nor can there be anyone to destroy him, or to diminish his greatness, his power, or his happiness.
But the Eternal Father has given the Son for us: ‘He delivered Him up for us all.’ (Rom: 8:32).

Has God, then, in giving himself for us, made himself ours? Yes. This God, over whom none besides can rule, has yielded himself captive to love: ‘For this is how God loved the world: he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.’ (Jn 3:16).
My God, my Beloved has given himself all to me; it is but reasonable for me to give myself all to my God. So do I on this day offer to Thee, my Savior, my entire will. I know well that You will what is best for me. You have redeemed my soul with the last drop of your blood.


(Edited excerpts from St Alphonsus de Liguori, Novena for Christmas in: The Complete Works of St Alphonsus de Liguori. Rev. Eugene Grimm (Ed.)

No comments: